Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Numbers

On my drive through the great state of Kansas (no that is not sarcasim, I really enjoyed it) I had a lot of time to discuss things with my great friend, Mike Fafinski (who has great hair). Sometimes it takes an outsider to make you see things correctly - we seem to fall into our ruts and feel very comfortable there. I asked Mike's input on many things (we had a couple of hours to get to another great friend and mentor of mine, Steve Riat) and with almost every question I asked him he asked how that affected my sales, which is my main focus, no matter what else is put on my plate. He helped me sit down and come up with how important I am to the company, hourly in both sales and margin. That really opened my eyes to using my time effectively. Am I making decisions based upon those numbers? I hadn't up to that point, but I am starting to now. It really opened my eyes to what every hours means to HTS and also to my bottom line. Again, as I stated yesterday, the importance of understanding numbers and what they all mean is something that is going to be a higher goal for me going forward.

No comments: