Thursday, May 22, 2008

Thinking Too Much

I helped sponsor and present at a great seminar yesterday. Once a year we hold an event for our education clients to help bring them up to date on exciting things that HP, Microsoft and SonicWALL are doing. While attendence is not always off the charts (yesterday we had about 20 people) the interaction and projects that come out of it are always good. I have already recieved 3 email to sit down and discuss new projects, and the event wasn't even 24 hours ago. One thing I realized is that at meetings like this I find out that I make assumptions with my clients that I should never make. I go through the discussion, of course in my mind and not with the client, and come to the conclusion that the client will not find the value. In meetings like this where there a group, when there is open discussion, sooner or later one of the clients will hear about a service that they didn't know we offered and I get asked "Why didn't you discuss this with me". Why do I do this? I don't think I am alone. I need to follow my gut instinct more (which usually leads me in the correct direction) and stop thinking so much.

No comments: