Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Waiting at the Airport

Waiting to pick up my son at the KC airport. The flight lands at 10:30pm and then a quick 3 hour drive home and I will be ready for Thanksgiving (and sleep). Today was an awesome day! I was as unplugged as I can get (and thanks to a discussion I had a few weeks ago with my good buddy from up north, Stuart Crawford, I am good with this fact). I had my smart phone and could look at email, but didn't have my computer on all day (until now). I had great meetings with clients in person and spoke to a lot of people on the phone. Sometimes I feel like I am a slave to my own processes. I create procedures so that I make sure I get everything done I need to, but I catch myself making them the priority and not my clients (and more importantly the people and the relationships). If I have a skill that I think that I excel at it is building great relationships - I truly care about people whether they are my clients, people who I have yet to make my clients, friends or family. I spent a good 3 hours on my phone today just talking to people and catching up with them. Between that and listening to my iPod that i loaded the awesome book "The Go-Giver" on I feel like my batteries are recharged. Hopefully they are recharged enough that it keeps me up for the next 7 hours (and Starbucks just closed!).

No comments: