Thursday, November 20, 2008

Not Sleeping Due To Rude People

Well it is 2:00 am and I am still awake. Why? Kids not sleeping? No it is because I had to deal with rude people yesterday and they tick me off so much I can't sleep. What better way to deal with it than to blog - right?

I was on a very long (around 6 hours) conference call yesterday. It was a call with my company and our major vendors creating a strategy for 2009. Lots of great information, but a long time for a sales person to focus. As any person with ADHD would do I watched the webinar on one screen, listened to the call, and did work on the other. When I was trying to start work on some goals I have with a time frame of January (HTG3 buddies I am already working on them especially since we lose a month this time) and had to send an internal email for some help. The person who I sent the email to had to reprimand me, not only in the response to the email, but also during the meeting on the phone (with fellow management and vendors listening in) for sending email during the call. This person has a habit of doing this to me. Not sure if I did something to them in the past, if I intimidate them, or if they just are just unhappy and want to make everyone else bitter also - but to me it was rude. I know I should have been focused 100% on the call, but that isn't the way I am wired. It shouldn't bother me so much but this person has a habit of doing this to me, especially in front of peers and vendors and I am getting tired of it. I didn't respond at the time because it would have been completely emotional and confrontational, but will today (I am learning there to take some time and think). How do you deal with rude people?

1 comment:

Stuart R. Crawford said...

Joddey, don't pull a Stuart :-)

The best way to deal with this is head on my friend and for a lack of better terms, you need to get in front of their face and tell it like it is.

You are a leader in your firm now and peers. Time to treat each other like that.

Come from a loving approach though not a rebellious one...

Cheers

Stuart Crawford
Calgary, AB
http://blog.itsuccessmentor.com