Monday, September 8, 2008

Slow Down

Just got back from a short trip to see my parents. They live on the family farm (my greatgrandfather built the house) and live about 5 miles from the nearest town (and by town I mean gas station, little grocery store and post office). I spent 2 days there with my parents, my wife and youngest 2 children. It was wonderful. It seems like when I go out there life is so much simpler. Between the large corn fields and the 500 acres of timber it can feel like there is no one else around. I got to see 2 of my brothers and most of my nephews. On the drive back my wife and I had a long discussion. Why is it that it seems we make our lives so complicated. I believe it is because that is how I want it. As I blogged earlier (and my friend Stuart Crawford also blogged) that I like being connected most of the time. I like being booked through the day going out and seeing my clients. I like having multiple things going on in my life. But it is nice every once in a while to shut down also (for another blog on this see my friend Steve Riat's post on his vacation). While I didn't get to the point there was no connectivity, it was nice that I could just go outside and not worry about my phone. We would just sit outside during the day and play with my children and the cats that live on the farm (my daughters favorite). It is nice to just slow down and enjoy life so you can remember why you are working so hard.

No comments: