Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Teamwork or Lack of It

Last night was the first night that I had my two youngest kids by myself, overnight. I thought how hard could this be? Taryn (18 months) and Gabriel (4 months) are good kids, just not the best sleepers, but I can handle this. My wife is travelling on business for a couple of days and told me that, maybe, I should call in some help. She does this on a pretty regular basis and I thought, well I should be able to do it also.

I should have thought this through better. Not having a team mate to help me (my wife) allowed my children to team up against me - and they did. I am almost 40 years old and should have the upper hand when it comes to thinking, but did I have my humility handed to me last night. Not only did they miss their bedtime (only by an hour so I thought I was doing pretty well) but when Gabe woke up at 12:00, 2:00 and 4:00 with Taryn waking up at 3:00 (yes there was overlap and I had to hear crying for at least 30 minutes) I knew I was not worthy. I needed my team (my wife or at least someone) to help me - but I didn't think I needed them.

How many times does this happen. We taste some success and all of a sudden we can do it all alone. We don't need any help. And what happens but we land straight on our face. I learned last night that not only do I need to back me up in every aspect of my life, but one person against a team will always lose no matter what their ages are.

Well I need to go get another cup of coffee - I am dragging pretty badly this morning.

No comments: