Thursday, July 29, 2010

Email

I have had a lot of discussions lately with friends and my wife in regards to email.  When did we become the slave to it, instead of it being a communication medium?  How many of us are constantly watching it and dealing with items the minute they drop into our inbox?  I have been like that in the past and am tired of it.  My new (well OK have been only doing this for one day but will let you know how it is going) way of doing things is as follows:
1. I have Outlook open, but not on my screen at all times.  I will focus on what I am doing and check it every so often, but it won't be in front of me.
2. I will stop thinking I need to respond immediately and set the new framework that if you need me right away - pick up the phone (thanks Larry).
3. I will pick up the phone and talk to my clients more often.  Email is great for details, but should replace a phone call or, even better yet, a personal meeting.
4. I have set my phone to check for email every 15 minutes during work hours and every 60 after hours (OK I set work hours as 5 am to 6 pm).
What do you think?  I would be interested in finding out.

No comments: